Wednesday, February 14, 2007

New experience

It seems like half the population of Oslo are sick these days. I've just had my turn. It's so incredibly boring being sick! I hate it! Fortunately these harse colds don't last too long. I'm almost well again.

I had an interesting experience though. During the weekend I was on a trip with a nice bunch of youth leaders from the church at Jessheim. Among other things I was going to lead the worship. My only problem was that I had no singing voice whatsoever. A lot of the time I could only whisper. How interesting to lead worship without being able to sing! I was able to talk loud enough for them to hear me (barely), but singing was hopeless. Still I really felt like I was leading them in worship.
Again that reminded me about what's important when leading worship. It's not about the singing. Of course not! It's about reminding them of who he is and why he is worthy of our time, focus, and praise, isn't it? And about helping them to let go of distractions and other things that keep them from giving him their all.
It was a cool feeling standing not quite in front of them, sort of hiding behind the pianist, just trying to focus on God without being able to hit a note, and every once in a while I'd say something that I felt God may have wanted me to say...
I guess the best way of leading worship is to worship God yourself. Sometimes I feel like God says that to me before I am going to lead worship. I might be a little bit stressed or nervous, or maybe I really really want something exciting to happen, so I ask God how I'm going to do this. Then I often feel like he says "Just worship me!"
That's a relief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preach it! Det må e sei, blogg på engelsk..

Hilde said...

Ja, må jo brife litt med engelsk-kunnskapene, vettu! (som om de er bedre hos meg enn hos andre lissom...) Neida. Det er faktisk veldig lønnsomt å skrive på engelsk hvis man er interessert i nye venner utover Norges grenser! Jeg har til og med fått venner som jeg har besøkt, og besøket ble en milepæl i livet mitt. Ikke verst, hva?!