Sunday, August 03, 2008

Edinburgh4
I really liked Edinburgh. Really, really liked it. There was something about the atmosphere in the city making me feel at home. Not that it reminded me of my home in Norway, but I could easily make myself feel at home there. I was there for only four days, so of course I can’t know for sure if I’d like living there, but it made me want to go back.

We only had time to see the typical tourist attractions. Actually there were many attractions we didn’t have time to see, which I thought was kind of sad. I think I could have stayed for an entire month without getting bored. I really enjoyed just walking around the town looking at people, buildings, pubs and shops… We also went up to Arthur’s seat, which I really enjoyed. I have never went hiking with shopping bags and a purse before, and felt kind of stupid bringing it all, but as my dad said; this is such a small mountain from a Norwegian point of view, so we don’t even consider it a real hike. After all they call it the city park. I guess I’m excused if I looked a bit like I didn’t know what I was doing. Heehee…

I also had the best milkshake ever at a hamburger restaurant in the royal mile, called Wannaburger. They had really good burgers too. (I guess burgers and shakes aren’t what I should be reporting from Edinburgh, but I enjoyed it very much. *grin*)

Of course we went to see the castle.

We also took a sightseeing bus, and learned a lot about Sean Connery… I do like to watch James Bond, so I didn’t mind. Einar and I went for two ghost tours as well, which I had been very sceptical to, since I hate horror movies and similar things, and consequently never watch anything like it. My brother likes watching horror movies, and maybe this was the reason why he found it scarier than I did. (Neither of us thought it was very frightening anyhow…) It was actually a bit fun. We also saw Mary King’s close, which was more interesting. It was like a very interesting history lesson full of superstition. ;)

Oh, and I also had one of the best desserts ever at Maxies bistro and wine bar at Johnston Terrace. It was some kind of chocolate fudge cake with ice cream and cream (not whipped as we thought it would be, but that was even better.) Any chocolate lover visiting Edinburgh should go there and try it. ;)

No comments: